mardi 3 juin 2014

Day 6 in Geneva: Thursday, May 22

I was looking forward to this day all week because we got to go to Geneva to visit the World Trade Organization and the United Nations. However, due to an unfortunate event in China, the UN had to close down to all visitors, so Rickie had to improvise and instead, got us a visit to Red Cross, Red Crescent instead.

The talk at the WTO caught my attention when our speaker started to talk about China and Taiwan. Without getting into too much politics, there are different perspectives revolving around the relationship between China and Taiwan, the Republic of China. My family originates from Taiwan. I learned that the WTO must categorize China and Taiwan into 4 different regions, named Hong Kong China, Macau China, the People's Republic of China, and Chinese Taipei (for Taiwan). I'm curious as to why Taiwan is called "Chinese Taipei" and plan on researching into this further when I get home. Chinese politics and the relationship between Taiwan and China have always been particularly interesting to me because of my heritage.

(Cool soundproof room that our WTO talk was held in)

We took a coffee break and soaked in the beautiful views of Lake Geneva from the WTO balcony. The girls and I all wore matching black outfits today, so we took advantage of the photo op (see below)! I wish the weather was better and that we got to spend more time in Geneva because I would have loved to take a walk around the Lake and just relax. This just means I'll have to come back again another time for a more extended visit.


(Lake Geneva behind me between the trees)

(Not letting a little rain stop us from exploring Old Geneva!)

Red Cross, Red Crescent was incredibly depressing, but also incredibly informational and a great learning experience. Growing up in such a prosperous area, I often take for granted all the opportunities and luxuries in my life. Listening to the testimonies of various victims around the world brought tears to my eyes, yet made me so grateful that there is such a wonderful organization and people in the world that aid the helpless. I feel it is time for me to "pay it forward" and help carry the burden of those who are in distress. So, one of my new goals is to someday volunteer my time to aid those who have been struck by an unfortunate event (such as Hurricane Katrina) in any way I can... not just through monetary means. Indeed, Thursday has been a day of growth and self reflection.

(Rows and rows of boxes filled with identity cards)

(Orphan children who were victims of diseases and natural disasters)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire