dimanche 18 mai 2014

Day 1 in Lyon: Saturday, May 17

I'm in France! I can barely put into words how incredibly excited I am to be in this fantastic country. This is a particularly special trip for me because I've been wanting to visit France ever since I started taking French in middle school 13 years ago. I fell in love with it and making began planning to visit France, goal never had the time opportune. I'm so happy that my dreams have finally come true!

During my first day in Lyon, some of the Cohorts and I went to Monoprix to stock up on snacks and drinks. The first thing I noticed is how the supermarket here is much more compact than those back in Texas. Like most European cities, Lyon is old and space is limited, so there are multiple levels in the store. Wide-eyed and slightly overwhelmed, I navigated my way through the aisles to find "water" and "milk." To my surprise, the milk is NOT in the refrigerated section ... It was next to the bottled water in a regular aisle on a shelf.  I have never seen before unrefrigerated milk, and was very skeptical about the quality and whether or not I shoulds try drinking it. Well, I bought one and am happy to say that it doesn't taste different. 


Another strange aspect of is that you can tear apart a package of 6 bottled water if you only want one or two bottles. Back in America, individual bottles are sold separately and you would be responsible for paying for the entire package if you damage it before it leaves the store. I'm not quite sure why the French supermarkets do not just sell individual bottled water, but I'm glad I could just buy one or two bottles instead of lugging an entire 6 pack back to the hotel.

The welcome dinner was amazing. I can definitely imagine myself gaining a couple pounds before I go back to the States because the food is SO good. I love that ordering wine is basically the norm for every meal, and I can already tell I've become a bit of a wine snob. Last week, before arriving in Lyon, Julia and I went on a wine tour through Chateauneuf du Pape and tasted some of the most amazing wines. Needless to say, I can definitely tell that there is a clear difference between $7 and a $70 bottle of wine! 

 

I can not wait to see what the rest of the week brings. Let the cohort adventures begin!



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire